On one of those beautiful sunny days after a long winter, you find yourself drawn to the beach or parks or just your backyard, for a satisfying soak in the sun. You have been waiting for this for a long time now, and you grab yourself a coffee or a snack along the way for your sunny day fun.
But within two hours you have to run for shade because now suddenly you feel too hot, and it burns!
Did you forget to wear sunscreen? Again??
Perhaps it’s about time you learned everything you need to know about sunscreens. We are here to help! Let’s start with why you need sunscreen at all.
There are reasons why mothers are slathering their children with sunscreen on a sunny day because protection from the sun is way more important than the much coveted tan. Sunscreen protects us in more ways than one.
Protect against the harmful rays
A sunscreen is made to protect you against the UV rays caused by the sun. These harmful rays known as UVA or UVB rays can cause long term skin damage, and might even be linked to skin cancer. You need to apply sunscreen, especially when you are out in direct sunlight and regardless of the SPF you will need to reapply every two hours for consistent protection.
Fight and delay signs of aging
Sun exposure directly affects the elasticity and collagen that is naturally present in our skin causing dull skin. When you skip sunscreen your skin dries out leading to fine lines and deeper wrinkles. When you choose to follow up your daily skin care with a sunscreen you help all the goodness of your products work its magic and keep the damage away.
Avoid sun spots
One of the effects of sun exposure is that a lot of spots appear over your face, shoulder, arms and back, also known as hyperpigmentation. These small spots are usually brown in color or in the form of uneven discolored skin which can also be more prominent in some people than others due to genetics. A simple sunscreen can reduce the visibility of these spots and then avoid further appearance of discolored skin.
Yes! That is probably the most important one. Those uncomfortable and sometimes even painful reddish areas on all the sun exposed areas can be handled and taken care of by simply applying your sunscreen. You do need to make sure you cover all exposed areas and wear protective clothing as additional cover.
Since you now know how sunscreens are pretty much indispensable, let’s find out some answers to the questions that are probably coming to your mind now, one by one.
Before going through the various suggestions and recommendations researched by our experts for each of your skin types and concerns, here is a brief introduction to the kinds of sunscreens to help you make up your mind which kind is better suited for you. There are two kinds of sunscreens:
All the sunscreens that come with a specific instruction of allowing 15 to 20 minutes for the sunscreen to set in before space stepping out are chemical sunscreens.
Direct exposure to sunlight causes these chemicals to be absorbed more quickly than others which means you might require a rather frequent reapplication.
The chemicals that form sunscreens are oxybenzone, avobenzone, homosalate, octisalate, octinoxate, octocrylene, or their combinations.
You may also be required to wear a small amount of product for a similar effective defense against sun damage as compared to mineral sunscreens. Usually these are easier to apply and spread over the skin without leaving any visible science
Course of action
These chemicals are topical lotions that are sitting on the top layer of your skin absorbing the rays that reach the deeper layer and convert them into heat. This means that all the sun rays are absorbed which may not be an ideal method of sun protection for people prone to Sun damage.
Mineral sunscreen acts as a physical blocker of UV rays by reflecting all rays away from the skin.
Similar to tiny mirrors all over your skin, mineral sunscreens are effective in creating an actual barrier between your skin and the UV rays without absorbing any part of it.
You do not need to wait any time before the mineral sunscreen is effective. You simply apply and allow it to spread evenly all over your exposed areas, and you’re ready for the sun.
For any mineral sunscreen to be effective you require zinc oxide or titanium oxide as an active ingredient or a combination of the two.
Course of Action
When you apply a liberal amount of mineral sunscreen you create a physical barrier that protects you from the UV rays. Mineral sunscreens are called physical sunscreen because of these features. you may also notice a white cast after application. Make sure you remember to reply every time you notice the skin sunscreen being rubbed off or washed down due to sweating or swimming.
The science behind sunscreen
If we are going through the topic of sunscreens we will need to find out how the sunscreen work and that requires you to understand why we need them at all:
Ultraviolet rays or UV rays are part of the invisible section of sunlight and can be harmful for our skin. We are continuously exposed to the sun and the UV rays. The UV rays are composed of UVA and UVB rays; the shorter wavelengths of UV rays are absorbed by the ozone layer that protects us from sun damage. The longer wavelength UV rays that reach our body we require protection from.
The UVA and UVB rays that reach us can be mildly to excessively damaging to our skin, especially to some people exposure to sunlight can be worse than others. The UV rays can penetrate through deeper layers of skin and cause cellular changes in the form of discoloration and sun spots. While UVB rays cause sunburn and inflammation that is topical or superficial.
You are always exposed, even if you are sitting by the window side or inside the house at a Sunny corner you are still coming in contact with the UV rays no matter how indirectly. When you step outside under the direct sunlight even on a cloudy day you are not safe from the sun without a proper shield.
Research has already proven that sunscreen has been proven to be effective against fighting signs of aging as well as lowering the risk of skin cancer associated with sun damage.
This is the reason that you are required to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours when you are outside. Some products may be more effective than others but none of them ensure you 100% protection against Sun exposure to be as productive as you can be for your own safety. No, you are probably not too cool for applying sunscreen.
Which brings us to simple pointers on how to apply your sunscreen.
You must understand that a sunscreen is not just a cosmetic product but a protective treatment against sun damage. Follow the following things in mind while using sunscreen.
- Everyone needs sunscreen. At all times during the day regardless of their skin type or skin tone. Even the people who believe they don’t need it.
- No sunscreen offers absolute protection against the sun, especially not without reapplication. Make sure you include sunscreen as well as avoid Sun exposure when you can.
- Don’t be shy or feel you are too cool to protect yourself against Sun exposure. Wear protective clothing or use umbrellas(maybe trying the ones that reflect sunlight) whenever possible.
- Most sunscreens now come with a water resistance skill that tells you precisely how long a sunscreen will be effective while swimming or sweating. Make sure you note that and reapply as needed, especially on a hike or day outside gardening to not spoil the fun with a sunburn.
- Since we are already insisting over and over how important our sunscreen is you may also realize that you require at least a 3 Oz bottle to yourself each time you are better stepping out.
By now we have covered all the basics that you need to keep in mind with sunscreens, and now we would like to introduce you to the sunscreen that may suit you and your skin concerns as follows.
Dry skin usually needs a lot of hydration along with moisture rising skin care that can keep it looking plump and smooth. It’s crucial that you include hydrating products in your daily skin care routine and not skip your sunscreen at any cost since it is supposed to help protect against dryness caused by sun exposure. Try the following sunscreens better suited for or dry skin:
- Suitable for all skin tones, this sheer tinted sunscreen formula is easy to blend while being lightweight to protect your skin from the wide spectrum of sun’s rays while giving it a healthy glow.
- The 100% mineral sunscreen filters out and reflects all the harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun to keep you protected. With SPF 30, this is a good daily sunscreen that keeps you safe from 97% of the sun’s harmful rays but needs reapplying as usual.
- Loaded with the goodness of ceramides, CeraVe hydrating sunscreen is actually excellent at helping your skin stay moisturized and protected from damage. Because of the hydrating qualities
- Fit for all skin types, this non-comedogenic sunscreen is also fragrance-free, oxybenzone free and paraben free making it a completely safe or even popular choice for sunscreen among users
- Regardless of your skin tone, the sheer tint of this sunscreen blends into your skin without a white cast making it perfect to use under makeup. The subtle glow compliments your makeup while keeping your skin hydrated and protected at the same time.
- With its hydrating properties Aveeno protect + hydrate sunscreen has been loved by a lot of the users for the dual benefit of having a moisturized and protected skin.
- Perfect for your face and body, this daily sunscreen protects nourishes and moisturizes your skin with antioxidant oat. The skin is visibly softer and healthier as it was before sun exposure.
- Even though it can be used with all skin types, the lightweight formula is oil free and fast absorbing without clogging your pores. Even on the poolside or a sunny beach day the sunscreen can resist water and sweat for up to 80 minutes.
- Highly recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation this SPF 70 is an effective broad spectrum sunscreen. Keep the signs of aging and harmful sun damage away with a travel-friendly size of this amazing sunscreen whenever needed.
The thing with oily skin is that more times than not it is acne prone. A lot of care has to be taken under consideration regarding which products are put on to the face or body that do not contribute to exacerbate acne or oil production. Consider the following sunscreens made especially for oily skin.
- Even the acne prone skin requires protection from sun damage since it can aggravate blemishes, using an oil free sunscreen such as Neutrogena clear face sunscreen scores high marks in preventing sun damage without causing more acne.
- Whether it’s for a beach day, gardening session, running or a long hiking trip you can depend on this sunscreen to protect you through the water and sweat for up to 80 minutes then don’t forget to reapply every two hours for a prolonged protection.
- The formula is remarkably weightless and designed to leave the skin breathing with a matte finish and no more skin problems for sun damage. While complementing your skin care routine sunscreens are even necessary for keeping your skin free from signs of aging.
- This unique oil free and non-comedogenic formula is suitable for all skin types helping prevent sun damage against broad spectrum sun rays keeping your skin supple and smooth.
- One of the most recommended brands by the dermatologist nutritional clear face sunscreen features active ingredient avobenzone that provides superior protection against UVA and UVB rays.
- Wearing sunscreen should be everyone’s part of daily skin care routine. The La Roche-Posay Anthelios sunscreen will quickly become your favorite product to wear every day with its distinctive dry touch consistency, making it a favorite among oily skinned individuals.
- This 100% oil free sunscreen has been proven to work amazingly well in the heat as well as the humidity without clogging your pores making it suitable for all skin types but specially befitting for acne prone oily skin.
- Having been dermatologically tested for safety against allergies the sunscreen is paraben and fragrance free which makes it suitable for sensitive skin while providing protection from the sun damage at all times.
- The sunscreen has won multiple beauty awards for performing in the best way for protection against the sun and continues to be a favorite recommendation among users and dermatologists equally.
- The sunscreen is made of an antioxidant complex so powerful that not only does it protect you against the sun damage from a broad spectrum of sun rays, but it offers brilliant protection from free radicals as well.
One of the biggest reasons that your skin might be irritated and prone to acne breakouts is because it has not been moisturized properly or it does not have proper protection from sun damage. Especially if you are on medication for treating acne the top layer of your skin may peel off or is sensitive to Sun exposure which means the sunscreen becomes indispensable for acne prone skin. We recommend the following products for acne prone skin.
- One of the key ingredients that comes very high in the formulation of EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen is niacinamide which is an excellent ingredient helping reduce hyperpigmentation with a calming effect on irritated acne prone skin. This key ingredient makes this sunscreen a better suited product for treating and protecting acne prone skin than any other.
- When used with a moisturizer this sunscreen is the best protective product for any skin type for skin tone as it rubs evenly through the skin without leaving any white cast at all. Users with darker skin tones gratefully swore by this feature making this a well appreciated product as well.
- This highly recommended product by the dermatologist not only protects and calms sensitive skin conditions such as rosacea or dark spots along with acne along with boosting the effectiveness of your skin care routine as well.
- Formulated with transparent zinc oxide this sunscreen is highly effective in maintaining your glow while avoiding sunburn or hyperpigmentation.
- One of the reasons that people put away or avoid wearing sunscreen is because of the greasy after effects sunscreens are famously associated with. Best sunscreen however comes with a lightweight oil free formula that helps protect your skin without the greasy after effects.
- Paula’s Choice Extra Care sunscreen is not only ideal for everyday use with its antioxidant enriched formula it is also recommended and spoken of by dermatologists and skincare influencers as one of the best sun protection products.
- Products that are made oil free are usually suitable for all skin types including the oily or acne prone skin. With ingredients such as aloe, vitamin A, E and C the sunscreen is also incredibly hydrating in nature without increasing the amount of oil on the face.
- Most of Paula’s choice products are focused on various but specific skin care concerns that are compatible with this amazingly potent sunscreen complementing your skincare routine.
- With SPF 50 the sunscreen will stand against broad spectrum sun’s rays, sweating or water too up to 80 minutes. Make sure you do not forget to reapply.
As the name suggests, sensitive skin is quickly reactive to a variety of ingredients such as chemicals, fragrances or dyes that show up in the form of allergic reactions, redness et cetera. Sensitive skin requires a specific kind of product that is safe for or use without any harmful ingredients or effects. If you are regularly on the lookout for products that will suit your skin, try the following sunscreens meant for sensitive skin type:
- Everybody needs protection from the sun’s harmful rays. Especially the people with sensitive skin are prone to sun damage and Alba Botanica Mineral sunscreen has been specifically designed by keeping sensitive skin needs in mind.
- Plant based ingredients such as chamomile and aloe leaf juice are perfect for hydrating and soothing your skin. Proper hydration from this sunscreen helps the skin remain plump and fight signs of aging while actively shielding against sun damage.
- For those of you who worry about using cruelty-free products Alba botanica uses a completely 100% plant based ingredients for this sunscreen bringing you a guilt free sun protection experience safe for your sensitive skin type.
- The key to wearing mineral sunscreens is you allow at least 15 minutes to let the product set in before stepping out in direct sunlight and the light smooth and non-greasy texture of the sunscreen will definitely make you want to reapply conveniently as many times as you may need.
- If you are someone who worries about the white cast then make sure that you rub the sunscreen in properly.
- Recent studies have observed that some of the ingredients found in sunscreens can be causing discoloration to the coral reefs. The Blue lizard Australian sunscreen has been made without Oxybenzone or Octinoxate that have been accused of harmful effects to the reefs.
- Made without any active ingredients, this mineral sunscreen protects your skin by reflecting all the UV rays before they might penetrate into your body through the skin. Apply liberally all over your face and body 15 minutes before stepping out in the sun for optimum results.
- Anything that may be irritating to your sensitive skin such as paraben fragrance or chemical ingredients have been strictly avoided in this sunscreen.
- A broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30, you will require to re apply every 2 hours for optimum protection. The sunscreen also provides a water resistance up to 40 minutes which means you will have to reapply if you have been swimming or sweating a lot.
As we age, skin loses its natural ability to regenerate and replenish The lost elasticity or repair damage as quickly as it did when we were young. Then needs for aging or m which your skin changes slightly but not drastically compared to any other skin type. Simply ensure the skin is regularly moisturized along with active ingredients such as a Retinol to combat signs of aging along with the regular sunscreen for all round protection. Consider the following sunscreens for aging skin:
- Since premature aging is caused by sun exposure, Rain or shine daily moisturizing sunscreen is an excellent product for aging skin that blocks out 98% of sun rays with SPF 50.
- Made free from oxybenzone and chemical orders the sunscreen is a perfect guilt free son protecting product that helps you tackle dryness, fine lines and wrinkles caused by prolonged sun exposure.
- This lightweight formula contains green tea extracts that are hypoallergenic and antibacterial for unclogging pores and treating acne. The ginseng root helps maintain skin elasticity making this sunscreen an excellent moisturizer for several skin concerns along with providing protection from sun damage.
- Nobody likes sticky or oily sunscreen which is why this sunscreen is made of a quick absorbing smooth lightweight formula that soothes and hydrates skin while efficiently covering the exposed areas while out in the sun.
- You can use this sunscreen daily for not just defending your skin against sun damage but also providing rejuvenating and rehydrating benefits from vitamin E and hyaluronic acid.
- The aging skin also requires daily protection against sun’s harmful rays and Vichy Capital Soleil sunscreens are anti aging sunscreens specially formulated to work on all types of skin including sensitive types.
- With the combination of vitamin E and white grape extract for antioxidants this sunscreen comes with a combination of broad spectrum filters that protects skin from sun damage at a cellular level.
- Providing the dual benefit of Sun defense and strengthening the skin barrier with 15-Mineral Rich Vichy Volcanic Water you end up providing your skin a wholesome moisturization experience.
- With up to 80 minutes of water resistance you are advised to shake the sunscreen well before use and apply liberally all over the exposed area and your face 15 minutes before sun exposure.
- Made with specific choicest ingredients Vichy Capital Soleil sunscreens are an all around skin care product that ensures beautiful spotless younger looking skin. Even the people with the most sensitive skin type find this product highly effective while being gentle on the skin at the same time.
Would you know how to classify or identify normal skin? If someone does not show excessive dryness or oiliness and no acne they might just have normal skin. Yes they do not have any specific skin concerns other than keeping it healthy and safe from sun damage. Against popular belief, even the people with darker skin tones require sun protection. Try the following sunscreen meant for normal skin.
- For those long Sunny beach days make sure that nothing comes between your fun filled day by wearing water resistant sunscreen. Especially for the sport enthusiast Dermalogica Protection Sport SPF50 is exceptionally good at keeping the sunburn away.
- Unless you are looking forward to a particularly patchy dry skin, don’t forget to reapply every 2 hours, specifically when you have been swimming or been sweating out.
- With the Sophisticated Oleosome technology, you fight against the forces of the sun and will not feel any sticky greasy feeling on your skin after applying this feather light formula that absorbs completely without leaving any white cast.
- The sunscreen with its cruelty free manufacturing helps you feel no guilt when you use it everyday. Before walking out the door make sure you give your sunscreen at least 15 minutes to activate itself for sun exposure.
- Protect and hydrate your skin with Dermalogica Protection Broad spectrum sunscreen without worrying about your skin sensitivities or concerns.
- If you are looking for a vegan mineral sunscreen try the THRIVE Natural Moisturizing Mineral Face Sunscreen with SPF 30. Prepare for Sun defense with this lightweight moisturizing mineral sunscreen that hydrates and protects with every application.
- With zinc oxide as the ingredient the mineral sunscreen creates a physical block against the UV rays without absorbing any part of sunlight. With this unique formula this sunscreen helps to hydrate and nourish the skin while revitalizing everyday for a more youthful and refreshed look.
- The antioxidants packed formula soothes and calms irritated redness prone skin while helping it recover it’s plump hydrated look. Following the ethical sourcing methods with every purchase of this product you are supporting the Costa rican farmers that help source the materials for this sunscreen.
- Cruelty free product has been made without any synthetic colours or unhealthy ingredients making it suitable for everyone including sensitive skin type. Use the sunscreen in combination with your daily routine under your makeup for continued skin benefits.
Even after knowing everything about sunscreen there is still a high chance that you may sometimes experience Sun damage or redness after a long day. Read on to find out how we can handle or treat Sun damaged skin
There can be temporary or slightly more long lasting kinds of Sun damage that can occur after improper protection against the sun.
Sunburn is fairly quick and easy to happen if you forgot to wear sunscreen. One of the easiest methods to reduce red irritated and sunburnt skin is by taking a cool shower to relieve immediate pain and then applying soothing gel based or aloe vera based products. Make sure to drink extra water to help skin to regain its hydration.
For instant cooling or relief from irritated red skin, apply an ice pack and compress. Drink a lot of water along with trying some over-the- counter medications. If any blisters occur avoid popping or touching them.
If the skin is particularly painful or irritating take a pain relieving medicine for comfort.
When sun’s rays penetrate deeper layers of skin they can cause cellular damage which manifest in the form of discoloration and pigmentation. A lot of topical treatments are available to lighten for correct pigmented skin.
You can consider consultation with an esthetician or dermatolo depending on the severity of the damage and decide on your course of treatment.
Fine lines and wrinkles
Premature signs of aging are a common result of damaged skin due to sun exposure. By amping up on moisturisers and active ingredients such as hyaluronic acid to retinols you can slowly treat or even reverse the signs of aging. Make sure to research extensively before trying active ingredients and never skipping sunscreen again because sunscreen will protect the results of these ingredients. Without sunscreen all of your treatment can be of no real use.
Will sunscreen cause cancer?
Even though this is a popular belief that discourages people from using sunscreen especially when needed there has been no concrete evidence for research that supports this claim. One of the most common forms of Cancer that is found among Americans is skin cancer which can easily be avoided by simply using sunscreen and protective clothing as often as possible.
Is sunscreen enough for sun protection?
No. Simply wearing sunscreen may not be enough or full proof against sun damage because sunscreen can offer only up to 98% protection against UV rays. Even if you may use a product that has a higher SPF it will still require reapplication every 2 hours for effectiveness.
Which is why you are required to avoid prolonged Sun exposure for as much as possible while wearing protective clothing and staying in shade.
Will I be tanned with sunscreen on?
Yes, you may still get a tan while wearing sunscreen because sunscreens essentially delay the effect of the sun’s rays on your skin but cannot avoid them 100%.
Without sunscreen, you will begin to feel uncomfortable burning or your skin may become red and inflamed quicker. Some people may notice these effects sooner than others and using sunscreen allows them longer time in the sun without discomfort.
Does higher SPF make any difference?
Most people experience a more confident and false sense of protection against UV rays when they are wearing SPF greater than 50. In reality no sunscreen regardless of their SPF is capable of providing you with a completely protective experience against the sun. So a higher SPF translates to filtering about 98% of the sun’s rays, but they still require multiple applications as necessary after every 2 hours.
Children need to wear sunscreen too?
If adults of all skin types and tones require sunscreen for shielding themselves from the sun, then children need them too. Sunburns can happen to anybody even with darker skin tones that have natural melanin protection.
That means children must wear protective clothing as much as possible while using sunscreen of spf 30 at least for or allowing optimum fun on sunny days without any uncomfortable experiences.
The American academy of dermatology advises babies younger than 6 months to be kept away from the Sun and kept covered with hats for proper clothing.
Can I use the same sunscreen for my face and body?
Yes you can use the same sunscreen for your face and your body since all body parts require equal protection. Even though you may notice that some people find sunscreens meant for the body are not as easy to apply on the face, you may simply use a better formula and make sure you don’t skip sunscreen because of it.
Are transparent views we go through extensive periods of research and product reviews to help you make your mind about everyday things that you need. We put in the amount of work and effort into making these lists so that you are well informed before making your decision about any product that goes into your home and especially on your skin. Please leave a comment if we were able to help you in making your decision today.