We all need restful, restorative sleep. No matter what age, everyone needs to relax and unwind. And there can be endless reasons that may keep you up at night. If your mattress is one of those reasons that is not bestowing you with the gift of restful sleep, then this article is for you.
There are so many products, methods, and solutions to better sleep these days that if you still wake up with unexplained body aches, you are sure to need a new mattress.
You wake up sore and never fully rested
That should be the top and the most important of all reasons ever. If you keep waking up with mysterious pains and aches that do not correspond to your daily lifestyle, you need to check your mattress. Sleep is of utmost importance for human beings to rest, regenerate and maintain physical as well as mental health. If you are not able to sleep well in your own bed, and anywhere else feels more comfortable then, surely, your mattress is the culprit and you know what to do.
There is a noticeable sag in your mattress
When you wake up each day, you find yourself looking back at a mattress that has your body’s shaped hole in the middle of it that just does not change anymore, your mattress may be way past its prime. If you feel your mattress is lopsided or shows some lumps it will not let you sleep. Of course, if it’s memory foam you may notice the same sunken mattress but if that’s not helping you feel rested in the morning, you still may need to change your mattress.
You already know your mattress is old
Most people may not even remember when they bought their last mattress. Most kinds of mattresses do not last more than 10-12 years as per the manufacturers. To make matters worse, if lately, you can feel your partner moving around in the bed while sleeping, your mattress has lost its ability to isolate movement. You may need to help them and yourself sleep a deeper sleep and get a more suitable mattress.
Your allergies act up only in bed.
Old mattresses can be a haven for dust mites and bacteria collected over years, and some people can have their allergies worsened in such a condition. On top of that, if a mattress is not regularly cleaned properly, then the build-up can be even quicker. Hot sleepers may end up having a mattress that stinks because of absorbing sweat while they sleep. All of these point to a need for a new, more compatible mattress.
Your mattress does not support your weight or aging
If you have painful joints after a certain age, then you require sleeping conditions that allow you to sleep painlessly. When your mattress type does not support your sleeping position for your body size or weight, it may not help you sleep comfortably anymore. Most mattresses usually come with the specifications of the weight they can support and the type of sleepers it is suitable for. If you find yourself uncomfortably lying in bed with pain all night, try a new supportive mattress.
Tips for a new mattress buyer
Yes, now that you know mattresses do not come with a lifetime warranty and need changing every few years, of course depending on which kind of mattress it is. Take your time to read through the following information to help you make a better-informed decision.
Talk to your body
Make sure you know what exactly are your body’s needs. The measure of softness or firmness that you look for. Check with your doctor if you have any underlying conditions that need treatment or if they have any recommendations. Find out as much as you can about your exact needs. Focus on you only.
Find out information
Try to gather information about types of mattresses to match your requirements.
Consider visiting a store to test all the mattresses. Take your pillow with you, wear removable shoes, try different positions, take 15 minutes each to make an opinion. Look for the most firm mattress that is still comfortable for your body type and weight. The ideal mattress will relieve pressures off of your joints while not allowing the hips to sink too far.
Look for appropriate certifications
Check for tags to ensure what kind of products the manufacturer uses and how safe it is for you and the environment. This goes without saying that the more green a product is, the bigger the price tag it has.
Careful while reading policies
Keep an eye out for brands that offer you a minimum of 30 days trial periods that ends with a full refund at the end of it. Check for return policies and warranties too. Ignore extended warranties that do not offer any coverage for wear and tear. The money that you are willing to shell for an extended warranty does not hold up for much in the fine print. Buying a new sheet costs less and holds up better to protect your mattress from wear and tear.
Online stores may be reasonable
At the stores, you may have to pay up to 50% more price than the manufacturers’ listed retail prices, known as the sales price. Do not get fooled by the various marketing gimmicks that rarely have any credibility to hold up or prove their claims. Words such as ‘orthopedic’ may be a marketing gimmick and are not supplied by any authority after assessment.
Know your mattress!
There are way too many options to choose from when it comes to anything these days, and your mattress is not an exception. Here are the basic kinds of mattresses with their best features to help you make your choice.
Known best to conform to your body’s shape, memory foam has introduced people to the sinking-in-the-bed feeling or how it feels to be cradled. It is extremely satisfactory to 70% of its users as it relieves pressure off the joints and promotes better sleep for side sleepers, absorbing movement for the co-sleeper.
It may be too soft for some people’s preference, have too strong a smell for some, and too warm for others, memory foam can be mid-range in price and lasts up to 8-10 years.
The dense nature of memory foam provides support but restricts airflow through the mattress. Addressing the heating up the issue of memory foam, a gel-infused foam absorbs body heat to keep the sleeper cool. Many synthetic and organic materials are used in manufacture to remove the smells associated with hot sleepers.
Priced higher than usual memory foam, gel-infused foam still provides movement isolation and joint relief to its users for 10-12 years.
A variant of synthetic foam that is very similar to memory foam minus the sinking-in feeling, polyurethane foam is suitable for people who need the support of a foam mattress but find memory foam too soft. Often used in the manufacturing process of spring coil mattresses for wrapping around the coils.
Many other properties of polyfoam are closer to memory foam, including the price. Make sure you check for certifications that assure regulation of toxic substances in the manufacturing process.
As the name suggests, these mattresses are made by setting different shapes of steel coils in the form of a mattress that compresses when you apply pressure on it. Suitable for people who like medium to firm feel in their mattress. Best chosen by back sleepers or stomach sleepers, and those who don’t find support for their heavy set bodies with foam.
Since they have been around forever, these are the most commonly used mattresses that are affordable for most people, but may also have luxury variants.
It is a foam similar to memory foam, minus the contouring and pressure relief. For those who like the bouncy firm, foam latex is a good option. Dunlop and Talalay are two methods of making latex that result in two kinds of products. You also have the option of choosing organic latex made with safe ingredients and procedures.
Latex outweighs other kinds of foams in performance by lasting 20-25 years without losing its shape or suspension.
These mattresses literally combine the best of innerspring as well as memory foam to provide you with the perfect balance of firm and plush mattresses. It is most popular among couples who may like a more firm base while still being supportive.
A dense foam base then a layer of spring coils topped with memory foam padding provide the best of both kinds. Hybrids can range from reasonably priced to expensive and last 8-10 years.
These are a new and improved version of inflatable air beds that has options of customizing the firmness of the mattress even for both sides of the bed. These usually come with a remote control that allows you to fine-tune foam encased pockets of air as per your preference as well as your partners on the same bed.
Air mattresses can be affordable and perfect for your overnight guests. It is completely worth it for singles or even couples with different needs for sleeping in bed.
We are determined to help you make your best decision, at least in terms of a mattress, if at all. Bases on basic criteria of
Here is a list of products that shine through the massive amount of options out there, and you have to consider!
This twin-size memory foam mattress comes packed, shipped, and delivered to your bedroom in a convenient box. The simple instructions include opening the mattress and letting it “breathe” or take its form for the next 72 hours.
- You can bid goodbye to all your sleep problems with this pressure-relieving foam infused with moisture-absorbing charcoal and refreshing green tea that gives you no choice but to wake up every day fresh and well-rested.
- The Centri-PUR US certified mattress guarantees the best quality content, performance, and durability for a medium weighing person.
- To keep you from overheating while you sleep, the mattress packs an air pocket allowing passage of air, so you keep your cool even in bed.
- One helpful tip from a kind reviewer suggests that you do not try to take the cover of the mattress off for cleaning purposes even if it comes with a zipper because to avoid a fiberglass explosion.
- Zinus offers you a generous 100-day return policy, of course, without any stains, smells, or breakage, and yes, the necessary documents too. If you still want some more assurance, then a 10-year worry-free limited warranty also functions in your favor.
At an astonishingly affordable price, Linenspa brings you a queen-sized hybrid mattress is available in all other sizes including king-size. It is made of tempered Steel coils topped with quilted memory foam for comfort as well as cushion.
- The Steel coils offer a medium-firm feel and the topped memory foam allows minimizing the pressure off of the joints while aligning the spine, bringing you unmatched comfort while sleeping.
- Suitable for back or stomach sleepers that need and look for a certain level of firmness to sleep without any problems.
- For convenient Packaging, delivery, and setup, this mattress comes packed in a single box. You can simply let it take its shape and set it up almost immediately after delivery. The faint smell disappears after a few days or if you put up sheets on top of the mattress.
- The manufacturer provides a 30 days full refund return policy and past 30 days you can claim the warranty for any defects or issues.
This extremely affordable twin-size mattress has been recommended for kids’ bedrooms or bunk beds.
- The mattress is firm because of tempered Steel coils used in the inner construction, topped with a foam layer that is deemed comfortable for most users for this price.
- Many users recommended a foam mattress topper to make it more comfortable to medium weighing teens or growing adolescents.
- The body remains comfortable and does not sink in too much, allowing ease of movement while in bed. But in bigger sizes, the movement while sleeping may be felt by your co-sleeper.
- The mattress comes to your doorstep vacuum rolled in a box that needs to be simply opened and allows decompression for 72 hours as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Linenspa provides you with a full refund on a 30 days return, during which you must not stain the mattress in any way. If you’re planning on testing the mattress, then use a waterproof cover under the sheets for the trial period. After 30 days, you can choose to check with the 10 years warranty.
- A King-sized mattress topper made to support your mattresses with a 2-inch gel memory foam and a removable mattress pad increases the cushion and comfort to another level. The gel memory foam layer helps to keep you cool while you sleep, making this a reasonably priced option for many people.
- The layers are separate, and the 2-inch cover that’s just as easy to remove and wash spreads over your existing mattress like a fitted sheet.
- Anyone looking to address their sleeping issues without spending a lot can consider this as an excellent alternative to buying a whole new king-sized mattress.
- The mattress topper claims to be ideal for all kinds of sleepers. Many users reported great experiences with this mattress, finding improvement in body aches, joint problems, and enjoying deeper sleep.
- A stellar Centri-PUR certification helps you trust the product with the restrictions of chemicals affecting your health and environment.
- The mattress topper comes rolled in a box for easy handling and delivery to your doorstep. The sleep innovation website provides a ten-year warranty after registering at 5 USD.
The unique Gel memory foam is the topmost layer of this three-tier mattress. It works perfectly for you by drawing the heat from your body while you sleep and allowing a deeper, longer, and restful sleep.
- The second hypoallergenic and anti-microbial layer further improves the cooling system by improving airflow through the mattress with the help of open-cell marble gel comfort foam.
- The third and the firmest layer is the highest density of all layers, proving the firm adjustable foundation a mattress needs for people sleeping over it, regardless of their height or weight.
- The movement while sleeping is not transferred to the co-sleeper, which makes this mattress popular with you and your co-sleeper.
- What you get when you buy this mattress is a medium to firm feel which is supportive to all body types and sleepers. And if that’s not all, you get a pair of shredded memory foam pillows free.
- Even if the mattress is 14″ thick, it comes rolled and packed in a box easy for you to carry from the door through hallways and rooms, only to watch the mattress unroll and decompress over the next 72 hours.
- If that was not all, you get a 10-year warranty and Centri-PUR US certification for emissions, performance, and durability.
Made with 40 individual coils that fill with air to provide an even surface for your guests, both couples or singles, the mattress can accommodate up to 500lbs.
- Air mattresses are supposed to be inflated and deflated as per convenience for a maximum of 50 nights or continuous two months. Packed in convenient and durable nylon bags that restrict wear and tear to the mattress as well, making this a great product for guests or temporary arrangements.
- Even the full-size mattress inflates in only 4 minutes using a wall-mounted socket. This may not be suitable for camping or anything powered with a battery.
- The users appreciate the design that includes raised edges, making the sleeper feel comfortable and not falling over the side like other air mattresses. The material is spill proof and puncture-resistant, which makes it perfect for repeated use.
- The manufacturer recommends topping up the mattress with about 10 seconds of air after two continuous nights to ensure a good night’s sleep, regardless of any holes that may have formed around the pump or valve.
- The users appreciated an extremely prompt and helpful customer service, offering 30 days full refund and a one-year warranty from then on.
Help yourself and your guest sleep a wonderful night of good sleep with enhanced coil technology, Internal layering, and coils filled with air to help your spine to remain aligned for the ultimate restful sleep.
- With high-quality material, this mattress is puncture resistant, which will keep the general wear and tear that may sink the mattress away.
- This Queen sized air mattress comes with an internal pump which allows inflation in only 2 minutes to help you get to that much-needed rest quicker. You can adjust the comfort and firmness of the mattress by inflating or deflating the mattress for a few seconds.
- The mattress has a high-quality waterproof top made of suede material that helps support your spine while you sleep as well as keep your sheets in place.
- This air mattress comes with a 1-year worry-free warranty from the manufacturer and in most cases can be returned to the distributor within 30 days for a full refund. If you experience any problems with king coil products, you can try their highly acclaimed customer services, allowing you to trust them for providing you nothing but the best.
One of the first products to have come up with an entirely non-toxic and biodegradable, this Avocado latex mattress is made of 9 inches of pure blissful comfort. For the people who do not appreciate the sinking feeling of memory foam, the latest latex mattresses provide firm support to your spine along with a bounce.
- Made of 100% GOLS certified Dunlop latex, there are no springs in this mattress, making squeaky noises after a few years.
- Most latex mattresses may feel too bouncy, but this mattress is ideal for couples who have different needs from their mattress and appreciate the exceptional isolation of movement this mattress provides.
- The mattress is available in all sizes while king-size being commonly bought, this mattress is suitable for stomach and back sleepers with varying heights or weights. With its excellent spine aligning properties, this mattress will help you reduce the pressure off of the shoulders and hips.
- Made entirely from natural ingredients, this product is completely biodegradable. If that’s not all, this mattress avocado is a carbon-negative business that tries to mitigate its carbon emissions from production, manufacture, and distribution.
- Within 30 days, if you are not satisfied with the mattress, you may contact the seller for a full refund. You can avail of a 10-year full coverage and then a 25-year limited warranty.
This 12-inch supportive form and pocket spring mattress brings you the perfect amalgamation of undisturbed restful sleep and comfort.
- For the people who preferred a rather firm mattress than the sinking memory foam, this mattress comes with many recommendations glorifying the medium plush to firm feel. Made of top, individually wrapped icoil springs topped with conforming foam precisely fits your body’s curve.
- The mattress comes to your doorstep expertly compressed and packed in a box. Simply unbox and allow the mattress to unroll and inflate to its original shape by itself for the next 72 hours.
- OEKO-TEX certified this product follows the standard practices to ensure the absence of harmful substances in manufacturing and distribution without compromising on your ultimately restful sleep.
- You can avail of a 100-night trial given by Zinus for you to take your sweet time to make your decision about this product. Within 100 days if you are not satisfied with the product you can contact sinus for a no-hassle full refund. This goes without saying that the product must be in mint condition without any suspicious stains or smells, with all its documents and tags intact.
Suitable for all types of sleepers, this adaptive form mattress is made exclusively based on customer feedback and perfected for a universally satisfied customer. Fit for people of all shapes and sizes, this mattress leans on the firm side while providing you the required support and comfort.
- With gel beads and cooling graphite embedded between the foam layers, T&N adaptive foam efficiently traps heat away from the body, making it fit even for hot sleepers to sleep comfortably through a warm night.
- With Greenguard Gold and Certi-PUR-US certification, the mattress is made free from chemicals harmful to your and your environment’s health.
- Mattress comes conveniently packed in a box allowing easy unpacking and unrolling, you can begin to change your sleep cycle for good as soon as the mattress decompresses after 72 hours.
- With excellent customer service among its accolades, T&N provides you with a generous 100-night sleep trial within which you can return a clean and odor-free product for a full refund, followed by a ten-year hassle-free warranty.
Notice, and make sense of the certifications
Buying a mattress is a challenging task. Not only do you have to put all your personal preferences and requirements on the table, but if you are mindful of the chemicals involved in the mattress manufacture, the task becomes Herculean too. There is a wide variety of synthetic chemicals that mattress manufacturers use that are not always healthy for you to be sleeping on. There are a bunch of highly toxic and banned Volatile Organic Compounds or VOC that can slowly escape from the mattress into the air you breathe.
You do not wish to harm yourself or your family with these chemicals, and here is a list of certifications you can check to find healthier alternatives at a glance.
Global organic textile standards(GOTS)
For certifying mattresses through the process of manufacturing labeling, and distribution, at least 70% organic fibers were used. 2 grades of the label are grade 1: organist over 95% organic fibers and grade 2 made with 70-95% organic materials.
Many harmful chemicals associated with causing cancer or reproductive problems and harm to the environment are restricted. Natural latex made without Polyurethane foam can be environmentally sustainable or safe for the environment, just as safe it is for you to use.
Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS)
Restricts harmful chemicals in latex and non-latex parts of the mattresses. Certifies mattresses made of no less than 95% of organic latex.
For environmental reasons, many specific VOCs are restricted along with banning the usage of toxic flame retardants. It restricts the usage of synthetic latex and foam but may be used on the interior of mattresses. The cotton used in the coverings and fills must also be certified by organic content standard hundred or GOTS.
Oeko-Tex Standard 100
Guarantees that textiles and mattresses with this certification teen 9 imitate any harmful chemicals in the environment. There are several restrictions for the usage of chemicals that every inner and outer part of the mattress must meet. Some synthetic foams are allowed as long as they meet their chemical restrictions. Limits total and specific emissions and restrict many toxic chemicals.
Greenguard Gold certification
With two levels of certifications, label 1) GREENGUARD GOLD and Label 2) GREENGUARD. Limits emissions of VOCs from several products, including mattresses. For the sake of environmental health, total and specific emissions of VOCs are strictly restricted. Formaldehyde-free certification is provided to some products.
Guarantees that mattresses containing polyurethane foam meet set standards for emissions of VOCs chemical ingredients and durability. Ensures that polyurethane foam must be made without the usage of heavy metals for certain types of flame retardants and phthalates.
Organic Content Standard
Certifies that products suggest mattresses contain the said amount of organic material in the range of 5 to 100%. The two seals are of ‘Organic 100’ (for 100% organic) and ‘Organic blended’ (anything less than 100) Guarantees the amount of stated organic content.
The processing and growth of the organic materials are set as per the standard established by USDA Certified Organic. Any chemicals used with raw materials are not monitored.
USDA Certified Organic
This seal certifies that agricultural products used in the mattresses are grown as well as processed as per organic standards. Certified organic points to 95% ingredients to be organic and bear the USDA Certified Organic seal. Made with organic ingredients, is only 70-94% organic. Fibers in mattresses can be cotton, hemp, wool, or linen.
Ensures products are grown and processed as per standards set by USDA for food, restricting the use of synthetic fertilizers or pesticides. GOTS and GOLS are both USDA-approved. However, no regulation over the non-toxic parts of the mattresses is observed.
How to care for your mattress?
Even when it may look increasingly easy and tempting to buy a new mattress, you still need to take care of what you already own to make the most out of your hard-earned money. Here are a few tips to start improving your mattresses life:
Keep your mattress dry and clean
You are supposed to keep your mattress clean and free from spills or stains. Better yet while you are in the process of vacuuming your house might as well vacuum your mattress about once every week giving it the much-needed cleanse. Avoid eating in bed or allowing pets to climb up with you to reduce the extent of cleaning you have to do later. Pets will love their beds to snuggle every night. If you find some inexplicable odor emanating from your mattress, then try sprinkling baking soda over the mattress, let it sit for 20 minutes. Use a vacuum cleaner to clean the baking soda, leaving your mattress free of smell.
Rotate and flip
No matter the kind of build of the mattress, rotating it regularly adds to its longevity and performance. Especially with a new mattress, try rotating it every 2 to 6 months for a uniform distribution of weight and structure. Manufacturer’s even recommended flipping some mattresses to assure a more even use of the mattress. Most mattresses come with a specific set of instructions for usage and handling to help you use your mattress for ultimate satisfaction.
Avoid jumping around
Even though you see people doing it all the time in the movies, and it sure does sound like a lot of fun, jumping on your mattress is not going to help you in any way to keep your mattress in its perfect shape. It can be dangerous for you causing accidents while being harmful to your mattress, possibly ruining the bounce and coils. In the case of memory foam, jumping on the mattress can leave deep dents in the foam since it does not bounce back and may take a long time to smoothen.
Find better sheets
You are advised to use fitted sheets to protect your mattresses for long periods. Going one step ahead, you can also try a washable waterproof cover for your mattress that will keep it safe from dirt and stains. In case of a spill, change your sheets while being quick to grab some soapy warm water to carefully dab and rinse with a cleaning cloth to avoid making the mattress too wet. Allow the wet spot to dry completely before making the bed again, or it becomes a breeding ground for the mold.
Be careful while moving the mattress
The handles on the side of your mattress are not meant to be used for carrying it around and can be rather flimsy to hold the mattresses’ weight. They are much more suited to repositioning or rotating the mattress. Instead, take the help of multiple people to pick it up from the sides and underneath. Try to make your mattress as stable on a foundation as possible while transporting it from one place to another.
Keep a check on its expiry
Whether we like it or not, most things have a shelf life. While you can use the warranty at any time, mattresses are not immune to depletion. Depending on the kind of mattress, Mattresses can last from 8-12 years. The wear and tear may begin to show in the form of lopsided or forever sunken areas of the mattress. Make sure you do not end up using the mattress beyond its best performing days which can cause you not only discomfort but also disturb your sleeping habits.
Let the mattress breathe
After every few months, allow the sunshine through the windows to help remove any traces of moisture or odor from your mattress. Just as a new mattress is required to allow some time for decompression, you must try to let the mattress soak in the sun every other day to let the moisture evaporate itself. You can remove the bed linen and leave it to air itself out.
While there are an overwhelming number of options in front of us for choosing our mattresses, reading user reviews is an excellent source of the first-hand experience of any product you are looking to buy. In addition to that, information is so readily available on your tips that if you end up buying something without proper research, then it is simply a wastage of resources. Tell us how was your experience with your mattress?