Do you remember the first time you rode a bicycle as a kid? The tight, anxious grasp on the handle, the cool breeze blowing in your face and the wobbling balance you quickly managed to control- it is one of the most amazing experiences in everyone’s childhood which later becomes a fond memory. For every child learning to ride a bicycle is a crucial activity, not just for fun and entertainment but also for their proper growth. It has some amazing health benefits.
Cycling is one the best exercises for children and the earlier you start the better benefits you will be able to derive from it. Your children will learn and accomplish a lot by just learning to ride a bicycle. It is very important to learn to ride a bicycle at an early age, sure the kid will get some bruised knees but in the long run it is going to be absolutely worth it. When your kid gets into the habit of riding a bicycle it will be great for you and for them as over a period of time this exercise will help strengthen their bones and muscles and will also improve their stamina. Their cardiovascular development will also be greatly improved. If you’re not worried about a few bruises here and there then be sure that cycling will teach your children independence, confidence, physical and mental strength. Cycling gives you mental strength because it is an exercise that requires patience, grit, determination and persistence.
While the primary reason for riding a bicycle is reaping health benefits, there are many more things riding a bike will teach your kids. Let’s look at a few benefits cycling can bring about in the life of your kids:
Riding a bicycle is something that is extremely fun and simple for children once they learn it. This activity can be enjoyed by the kids independently or as a family. Whether your kids go cycling in the neighbourhood park or out on the sidewalk, it will help them connect with other children socially. It is an exercise that helps the child form their social circle and build long lasting friendships.
It helps build the ability to focus
Numerous studies have shown that cycling is an exercise which helps the child not only physically but mentally too. Many studies show that the children who rode their bicycles to school were more focused than the ones who arrived with their parents or took the school bus. The various chemicals released when exercising help children maintain a good mood and increased focus.
Helps keep the environment green
Needless to say, if your kid loves to cycle, they are indirectly helping keep the environment clean as they are reducing pollution caused by vehicles. If your kids prefer to ride their bike to school rather than go in the car with you, they are definitely contributing towards saving the environment from pollution.
It ensures physical activity
Since it is something that is enjoyed so much by children, you won’t have to urge or force your kids to do some physical activity to remain fit. It is a well-known fact that the root cause of almost all health issues is obesity. Keep your children far away from obesity by teaching them how to ride a bike.
Safety comes first
If you worry about your kids falling off their bicycles and getting hurt, your fear is completely natural. Cycling is a dangerous activity and there is always a chance of kids crashing into something that might hurt them or simply losing their balance and falling off. It sounds scary to put your children’s life at risk by allowing them to ride their bicycles but everything can be achieved with a little safety and caution. As a parent it is your foremost duty to protect and take care of your children and that’s why you need to lay down some ground rules for them if they want to go out riding their bikes. Following are a few rules that must be followed by children while riding their bikes so that they can have a happy and fulfilling experience:
- Make sure your child is wearing a helmet that fits them snugly. It should cover their forehead and not tip back.
- Stick reflective stickers on the helmet so drivers can see the kids clearly avoiding any accidents.
- Make sure that the bike is assembled very well and is not wobbly. Make sure that the wheels, handlebars and the seat are fitted tightly.
- Make sure that your kids wear the right type of clothes and shoes- no flowing or loose garments and no flip flops or barefoot.
- Daytime riding is the best and the safest, avoid teaching them to ride at dusk or later.
Teaching your kids to ride a bike will be one of the most rewarding experiences you will have as a parent. It is something that makes a strong bond between you and your child. Words are not enough to express the joy your child will feel when after days of training they finally learn to ride the bike on their own. To make this experience happy for you and your child you need to follow some tips. Have a look at the following tips and teach your kids to ride a bike quickly and efficiently:
- Make sure that your kid is ready– Sometimes parents are in such a hurry for their kids to grow up and start riding a bicycle on their own that they forget to take into account the fact that the child needs to be ready both physically and emotionally. Learning to ride a bike is an important aspect of a kid’s childhood so make sure that your child is absolutely ready to learn to ride their bike.
- Get the right size- Parents mostly feel that they can invest in a bike which is going to last for years, however, if the bike is too large for your child, then there is a risk of getting hurt. They will not be able to learn cycling properly if the bike is too large or too tiny for them. There are convertible and adjustable bikes available on the market which grow with your child, it is best to purchase those.
- Safety first- Be sure that you have all the safety equipment before your start teaching your child. Cycling is a thrilling outdoor sport but with it comes the risk of bruised knees and scraped elbows. Make sure that all the safety equipment your child has on fits them perfectly.
- Choose a suitable place- It is not recommended to teach your kids to ride a bike on a busy street. Choose a place that has ample open space and clear area with no traffic of oncoming vehicles.
Teaching your children to ride a bicycle will make them independent and they will grow up to be responsible citizens. It also has great emotional value. When your kids get older, they will have countless memories of you but the memory of you letting them go while they were riding their bikes is going to be their favourite one. Bike rides will teach your kids numerous valuable life lessons so begin your research today and get the best bike for your kids.
Browse the following list to find out the best suited option that fits your budget:
Strider is a brand that builds lightweight, efficient, all terrain bikes that develop two- wheeled balance, coordination and confidence in children. It is a brand that promises to manufacture quality products focused on proper fit and function for the rider. It also serves their customers with an empathetic, just and generous heart.
- This balance bike by Strider has revolutionized the way kids learn to ride with its no pedal and no braking system feature. Children as young as one are eligible to ride this cute bike.
- The seat and the handlebar on this bike can be adjusted to accommodate children from the age of 18 months up to the age of five years.
- This lightweight bike will allow your kids to learn to balance on their own quickly. The small handle grips will let them grip the handles comfortably and take complete control of the bike
- This bike will allow your toddlers to taste freedom for the first time. They can accompany you on their bikes while you take a walk at the beach or sit and relax in the park with your family. Since it is lightweight you can carry it with you wherever you go.
- It’s durable and safe and is well- built. It will last a long time. The steel frame is extremely durable and the puncture proof tires will keep you from worrying about constant maintenance and repair.
Honest feedback- The customers claimed that initially they were apprehensive about the foam tires but turns out that they are super lightweight and never give you flats. They are a hard and durable polymer/ rubber combo and will help your child balance the bike easily. It is best to use this bike on level ground or asphalt. You must be careful on hills as this bike does not have any braking system. Some customers claimed that assembly was a little tough as there are no instructions provided for it. Most of the customers suggest that this bike should be any child’s first bike as it will gradually introduce them to the world of cycling.
The brand ‘Banana Bike’ is a promising one as it has unique features and design which will make the process of learning how to balance a bike more fun for your child. It is a trusted and praise worthy brand which offers excellent customer service even a long time after your purchase.
- The ergonomic design of this balance bike will let your kids mount the bicycle on their own easily. The banana shaped step through frame design is low slung for even the smallest bikers to get started on their experience.
- This lightweight balance bike is easy to handle by toddlers and it is also easy for the parents to carry it.
- The adjustment of the seat on the banana shaped bike will allow it to grow with your child. The low seat setting will allow even tiny tots to take this bike for a ride and as your child grows keep adjusting the height of the seat.
- It is suitable for children aging from 2-5 years. This bike has a low center of gravity which will help children ride it without too much strain.
- The new design of this bike comes with a comfortable and durable seat, safe grips and wide cushioned bar ends all to help your child have the best biking experience.
- The banana bike LT is manufactured using premium parts and comes with a full warranty. It also has great customer support. If you face any issues with your item, just write or call and you will be helped.
Honest feedback- Customers absolutely love this bike. The adjustable height is a great feature as it allows the height of the seat to be adjusted according to the child using it. It is sturdy and the metal parts are solid enough not to dent after a fall. The plastic parts are thick and strong too. In spite of being so durable, this bike is lightweight and easy to put together. Your kids will definitely look forward to riding it every time you step outside. This balance bike is the best gift you can give your toddler in 2021.
Schwinn is a brand that created a standard for innovation in the industry by developing the mud guard, the cycle lock, the fore-wheel brake, Cantilever frame and the Spring fork. This is one of the most trusted brands for bikes as it has been around for years and customers deem it as extremely reliable. History was made on bikes manufactured by Schwinn as several speed records were set using them.
- This retro styled kids’ trike is designed with a low center of gravity making it easy for kids to climb on and off it while playing.
- The exquisite design makes it the coolest bike on the block. The mustache style cruiser handlebars, chrome fenders, and handlebar streamers make it unique and stylish.
- The seat on this trike is adjustable. It can move forwards and backwards with five lock-in positions which means it can be used by multiple kids and be adjusted according to their heights.
- The rear deck is made of wood with burnt in logo and the scalloped chrome fenders make it a retro modern ride.
- It is suitable for kids aging from 1-4 years and 28”- 38” in height.
- It is made of full- steel which is heavy-duty. It will last long and will look great too.
- This bike is ideal for your child if it is going to be his or her first bike as it is perfect for young riders.
Honest feedback- The Schwinn tricycle is absolutely loved by its young customers as it has a wider base so it is impossible to tip over. It is very stable when going over grass or natural terrain. It has foot pegs so the child can rest their feet before they can reach the pedals. The quality and weight are excellent for children. This trike has air filled tires that you can buy replacement tubes for if needed. The amazing price point, sporty retro look and the overall quality of this bike have made it quite popular.
The brand Royalbaby has been manufacturing reliable kids’ bikes for over 10 years and has gained the trust of parents with their safe and durable bikes. It aims at building better products for millions of children and helping them enjoy their outdoor time with Royalbaby products.
- This is an easy to put together bike as it comes 95% assembled. No need to install the front wheel and brake as they are already installed. The assembly tools and instructions are included in the package.
- A lot of thought has gone into the design of this safe bike. It comes with safe grips and handbrakes. The front caliper brake and rear coaster brake make the bike even safer.
- The wide pneumatic tires make it more stable and the strong steel frame makes it last long. The non- slip resin pedals will keep your child safe from any leg or ankle injuries and the chainguard makes the bike look very modern and stylish.
- Young riders can enjoy a smooth ride on this bike with Royalbaby sealed bearing since 2019 and the exclusive brake lever allows them to brake carefully and safely.
- The comfortable and soft seat of the bike has a handle so that makes it easier for parents to teach riding the bike. It comes with a bottle holder. The amazing design and colour will fetch many compliments and will make your kids very happy. The bike bell and DIY decal will add a little extra fun to the ride.
- The bike is available in several sizes so as to accommodate children of various ages and heights. You will surely find the perfect fit for your child according to their height.
Honest feedback- The parts of this bike are of extremely good quality; the welds are solid and the finish is perfect. The tires on this bike are true and there is no wobble, the brakes are centered on the rim and have the perfect amount of pull. The water bottle feature is absolutely loved by children as well as parents. The fit and finish of this bike is also very stout, it’s a firm foundation, which completes the riding experience. This is, hands down the best first bike you can find.
This brand is fairly new as it was established in the year 2018. The brand manufactures toys for kids and follows the tenet of customer first. The brand also guarantees product quality and allows customers to shop with confidence. In the short period of time since it came into existence, customers have loved the products of this brand making it one of the best sellers.
- This pedal- less bike will teach your kids to push with their feet which is great for their motor skills. It also teaches them to maintain their balance while sitting or moving.
- This bike comes with fully enclosed wheels to avoid clamping the kids’ feet. The steering limit on this bike is 135 degrees which will protect the kid from falling off from the side.
- The steel frame structure makes it sturdy and durable. The handlebar and wheels are made of eco-friendly EVA material. There were several quality and safety checks done on this bike making it extremely reliable.
- It is suitable for kids aging from 10-36 months. It can be easily assembled and is the best gift for your kid.
Honest feedback- This aesthetically appealing bike will immediately grab the attention of your child and they will want to ride it all the time. This cute bike is a great way to get your kids to learn to ride. It is lightweight and easy to move around, however, be careful when your child is turning the bike as it might tip over. This adorable bike will give you and your kids some very memorable times.
Radio flyer’s passion for design began over a hundred years ago with the founder Antonio Pasin. He brought attention to detail, passion for quality and a love for beautiful design with him from Italy when he arrived to build a better life in Chicago. That same passion is evident today in the products manufactured by this brand. Radio Flyer is a renowned brand and is trusted by customers all over the world.
- This 4 in 1 tricycle transforms as your child grows. The Radio Flyer starts as an infant trike and changes all the way up to a classic trike. It is ideal to teach kids how to pedal.
- The trike can be ridden by kids aging from 9 months to 5 years in different stages- toddler trike can be ridden from 9 months to 18 months, steering trike can be ridden from 18 months to 24 months, learn to ride trike can be ridden from 2 years to 3 years and the classic trike can be ridden from the age of 4 years to 5 years.
- This trike comes with a bunch of accessories which you can remove as per your requirement. It comes with an adjustable UV protection canopy, wrap around tray, headrest, seatbelt and a parent push handle.
- The adjustable canopy is one cool feature of this trike which will allow your kids to enjoy the outdoor fun without getting sunburnt. The high-density foam tires provide a smooth and silent ride.
- The safety of your child is ensured on this trike as the steering can be controlled by you. The height adjustable parent push handle provides easy control and the foam grip will give your child an extra comfortable ride. The parent push handle is also a removable accessory which can be removed one your kids learn to ride on their own.
Honest feedback- The instructions to assemble this trike are pretty easy so you can assemble it in 30-40 minutes. The frame and other components are pretty heavy, and seem to be made well. This trike might take some time to get used to but once your child learns to use it, it will be their favourite thing in the world. There are a number of accessories you can buy to add to this trike like the footrest. Many parents added the footrest and felt that the trike was totally perfect after the addition. Customers claimed that their kids use it almost everyday and that they absolutely loved their decision of buying this trike for their kids.
Joystar has been designing, developing and producing kids’ bikes since 1997. The brand guarantees that with their bikes you are sure to step away from your screens and get out into the fresh air to bond with your family in new and unexpected ways. Their goal is to bring happiness to kids all over the world. This brand has excellent customer service and a reliable reputation.
- The Joystar tough HI-TEN steel frame is durable and elegant. It will easily survive bumps giving your kids a smooth and easy ride. It comes with black tires and single speed and does not require too much maintenance and upkeep.
- The saddle comes with a holder so that the parent can help their kids by grabbing it. The seat post is tightened with a quick release clamp.
- The heavy-duty steel brackets and the training wheels ensure durability to help your kids remain in an upright position while learning how to ride the bike. These training wheels will help them master two wheel balance too.
- The bike comes with heavy-duty rubber off-road tires for outstanding grip and stability in any weather conditions.
- The handlebar is flexible for kids to steer and the grips are soft and comfortable. The grips are anti- slip, breathable and wear resistant.
- The braking system in this bike is great. The kids can turn the pedal backwards and get the bike to stop. Speed control is all in the legs of your kids.
Honest feedback- The premium materials with which this bike is made definitely prove that the bike is going to last a long time. This bike has the cool retro look which no other bike has. It is easy to pedal, brakes aren’t stiff, the seat is very comfortable and it does not squeak. Customers were thrilled with their purchase but some felt that the assembly of the bike was confusing and difficult. Your kid is sure to ride this bike for years and will cherish it forever.
XJD is a brand that has been manufacturing outdoor toys for kids to let the children experience the world around them in the safest and the most joyful way. They offer high-quality outdoor toys to help your kids explore and develop their curiosity and their motor skills.
- This amazing baby walker toy will surely help your child learn to develop balance and will keep them entertained for hours.
- It is an easy to assemble kids’ bike with a comfortable seat and convenient handlebar. The handlebars and the seat can be adjusted in height and angle to suit your child’s needs.
- It is a sturdy trike which is also comfortable to be ridden indoors as well as outdoors. The grips are soft and comfortable for a smooth ride.
- The safety of your child is guaranteed on this trike as the wheels are completely enclosed avoiding clamping of the child’s feet.
- This convertible trike can be used by kids aging from 10 months to 3 years. The three-wheel mode is to be used by kids aging from 10 months to 24 months and children from 2-3 years can use the balance bike with or without the pedals.
Honest feedback- Most customers really loved this trike, however, some felt that it was a little too small for two-year-olds. It is a sturdy and comfortable trike which will last for a good couple of years. It is the ultimate bike to teach kids how to balance. Purchase this bike today and teach your kids the fundamentals of cycling.
The Little Tikes company came into existence in the year 1969 and has been creating award- winning toys for kids ever since. The brand has created several family favourite toys like Cozy Coupe and classic basketball hoop. The amount of research that goes into making a Little Tikes toy is tremendous and painstaking. They test all of their products vigorously and carefully consider what’s best for kids.
- This 4 in 1 convertible trike can transform into four amazing options. It can be an infant stroll, a pushing toddler trike, a balance bike and a pedaling cycle. It can be ridden by kids aging from 9 months to 4 years.
- The adjustable canopy that comes with this trike will allow you to protect your child during the day from scorching sunlight. There are other accessories too that come with it- waistbar, 5-point seatbelt harness and a detachable footrest.
- As a safety feature the brand has included rear wheel locks and non- slip pedals to keep your child safe while riding.
- The trike has an adjustable sliding seat to accommodate your growing child. It can be adjusted as and when your kids get taller.
- A special and the most attractive feature about this trike is the spacious basket attached to it. The parents can store their belongings in it or the kids can store their toys in it. Either way it is a convenient storage space.
- Another great feature of this trike is the cup holder and the tray on the parent push handle. Now you can sip on your coffee while your kid enjoys a nice outdoor experience.
Honest feedback- The adjustable sunshade is one feature that was really loved by all the parents and they also claim that it is sturdy and will last for a long time. Some parents felt that putting this bike together was a little tough and the instructions in the booklet weren’t very helpful either. It is very easy for parents to handle the trike using the parent push handle. This bike is super cute, very well made and will be loved by your kids.
Fisher Price is a brand that is well known throughout the world for the great quality and longevity of their products. The toys manufactured by this brand are not only the strongest but also the cutest and one of those is the Fisher Price Harley Davidson Tough Trike.
- This cool bike will surely fetch many compliments and will give your kids years of fun and adventure. It is designed to look like a Harley Davidson.
- The tires are durable and fit for rugged off- roading.
- It has all the essential features of a trike like a wide stable wheel base, easy grip handlebars and big foot pedals.
- It can be used by kids aging from 2 years to 5 years.
- The cutest feature of this trike is the secret storage compartment under the comfortable seat. Now your toddler can look even cooler while fetching their toys from the secret storage.
- This trike will help your kid exercise their leg muscles, help strengthen their motor skills and will teach them balance and coordination.
Honest feedback- This cool trike is loved by parents and kids equally. It is easy to assemble and is well made. It comes with some cool stickers which have strong adhesive and will not peel off. Parents claimed that their kids ride their trikes daily and love it. Some parents felt that the trike is best suited for taller kids as many complained that their kids could not reach the pedals. Nevertheless, this bike is going to be a huge hit with your kids.
1. How does riding a bike help in kids’ development?
Riding a bicycle will help your kids’ development in the following ways:
- Helps exercise cardiovascular muscles
- Builds muscle mass
- Relieves stress
- Strengthens emotional wellness
- Enhances socializing skills
- Helps them remain active
- Energizes them holistically
- Helps them become independent
- Strengthens the bond between parents and their kids
2. What are the steps to teach a kid to ride a bike?
Following are the steps you can follow if you’re planning to teach your kid to ride a bike:
- The first step is to buy the right bike for your child according to their age and height.
- Start with a balance bike if your child is too young, once they learn to balance you can start teaching them to pedal.
- Find a safe space to teach your kids like an empty parking lot or an open field.
- Check if all the safety equipment is in place and fits perfectly.
- Hold the bike seat or rest your hand on the back of the bike to help steady your kid and then get them to start pedaling. The child must always look ahead and not on the ground to help them balance and steer.
- Once you feel like your child can balance the bike on their own, start letting go off the seat and watch them ride safely and independently.
Now that you’ve reached the end of this article you now have a lot of information about children’s bikes and are probably sure which bike you want your child to have. Riding a bike will help you make a million memories with your children and bond with them as a family. Start your tiny tots’ adventure today and buy the best bike for them. Mention in the comments the bike you choose for your kids and have lots of fun at your many outings!