It is such exciting news when you find out you’re about to be a parent. Just the thought of setting up a cozy little nursery for your baby gives you that feeling of tingling excitement. The swaying of pudgy little arms, the pat of teeny tiny fingers upon your face, the naughty yet endearing cackle of a baby, we all absolutely adore all this. Babies really do possess the magic of making our worlds brighter and happier. Their precious smile makes all our anguish melt away but when these tiny babies decide to wreak havoc there is nothing in the world that can stop them.
If you’re a new parent this might sound familiar. Do you keep struggling with your baby all the time to put them to sleep? Do you always find you and your partner yearning for that small, delicious bite of a short nap? Have you had countless sleepless nights because your baby just refuses to sleep? Don’t worry, it is a universal problem. For several years parents have been trying to come up with gadgets and gizmos to comfort their babies while they sleep but most have missed out the essence or even the source of comfort for a little child- its own safe crib.
After spending nine long months in the mum’s belly the baby deserves a safe haven once it is out here in the world. Of course, there is no furniture that could compare to the safety and comfort of a mother’s womb but a baby’s crib is a close match. A baby’s crib wasn’t always as popular as it is now. It was a common practice all over the world where mothers would sleep alongside their babies in the same bed to ensure their safety all night. In fact, even now in many countries it is quite a popular habit of new mothers to sleep with their babies till they grow up to be 2 or 3 years old.
Over the years people have been trying to improve the design and structure of a baby’s crib so as to ensure the safety and comfort of a child. Various types of cribs have been brought in the market with the single aim- keeping babies safe and comfortable. Let’s have a look at the types of cribs available in the market right now:
- Standard crib– it is the generic type of crib, the one you picture when you hear the word ‘crib’. It is usually very sturdy, spacious and long lasting. Parents looking to have multiple children mostly choose this type of crib as it can be used again and again. This type of crib however, because of being sturdy, is too heavy and difficult to move around. It is perfect for permanent homes but couples who have a transferable job or are constantly on the move might not have this one on the top of their priority list.
- Convertible cribs– These cribs are becoming more popular recently. They are popular because of their ability to be converted into a larger version or even a full bed. They grow with your children. You might want to have a toolkit handy for each transition but if you are planning to have one child then this pick is perfect for you as you will have to invest money in their furniture only once and as your child grows you can keep changing it till you make it a full bed for your adolescent child.
- Travel cribs- As you can probably guess by the name itself this crib is ideal for parents who like to travel a lot. They are extremely lightweight because of the materials used to make them and easy to set up too. They are highly prone to wear and tear also because of the materials used to manufacture them. Although they can be used while you’re traveling with your baby, they cannot be considered a permanent sleeping furniture.
- Mini crib- This type of a crib is usually preferred by parents living in small houses. It has pretty cool features like adjustable height mattress and gliding wheels but your baby will outgrow this crib soon and you’ll have to invest in a new one. This is the sole reason why this type of crib is not a huge hit.
A baby’s crib is not a necessity but there are various reasons why using it will actually help you in giving your child the safety and comfort they deserve. Following are just a few of the many advantages of putting your baby in a crib:
- Safety- This obviously goes without saying that your child will be extremely safe inside a crib. As a parent you are always on the lookout for your kids making sure that they are always safe and sound but children are full of energy and always looking to get some mischief done. A crib will keep your baby safe by keeping them put, preventing them from crawling towards dangerous spots.
- Convertibility- Any furniture nowadays costs a fortune. Good thing about most cribs is that they are convertible. Some can be converted into bigger cribs and some can be converted all the way to full sized beds. With a crib you won’t have to purchase new furniture every time your child grows a little. Convertible cribs will save you a lot of money.
- Comfort level– Now this might sound a little selfish but when you put your baby in a crib you have the entire bed for yourself. It is not just about your own comfort but about the comfort of your baby too. If you sleep right next to your baby at night you might constantly get thoughts of accidentally squishing your baby but when you put them in a crib, they have a separate space for themselves and you have the entire bed for yourself. This ensures comfort for the both of you.
Each parent views their baby as their personal treasure and indeed they are right. Children must be protected at all costs. Babies are very curious creatures and they obviously do not understand what should be done and what should not be done. This is why you need to baby proof your house if you are about to welcome your baby. Baby proofing the house is something that has become a norm over the years but most parents completely overlook the fact that the place where their baby is going to spend almost all of its time, the crib, needs to be baby proof too. Let’s look at the following things you must do to baby proof the crib:
- Make sure that the slats are not more than 2-3 inches apart and aren’t damaged or splintered even a little.
- Do not have any decorative cutouts on the headboard or the footboard which the baby could swallow or get caught in.
- Baby proof all the sharp and jagged edges.
- Keep checking that the sides latch securely.
- Secure all the screws, bolts and nuts tightly and make sure that none are sticking out.
- Choose a crib sheet that snugly fits the mattress, do not use an adult sheet.
- See that there are no gaps between the mattress and the side of the crib.
- Lower the height of the mattress once your baby is old enough to stand up inside the crib
- Make sure that there are no bumpers on the crib
- Do not hang toys with strings or ribbons longer than 7 inches above the crib
- Make sure that there are no electrical appliances kept near the crib and that there are no electric cords hanging near it.
- Do not put pillows, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, pillow-like bumper pads or pillow-like stuffed toys in the crib.
Parents nurse and take care of their babies day and night to raise their beautiful children and make them ready for this world. Needless to say, the safety and comfort of a baby is its parents’ utmost priority. Buying a crib for your baby’s nursery is no easy task though. With the variety of options available in the market you’d want to buy the most expensive model thinking it is the best one, yet with all the high-tech features, we all want the best for our kids.
Check out the following list of baby cribs to make an informed decision about your baby’s first bed and the place where they will be spending most of their time for the beginning 2-3 years of their lives:
Graco is one the most popular baby gear companies. It has been in the industry for nearly 65 years and has been manufacturing trustworthy gear ever since. Their safety testing and technology used to make several kinds of baby gear is completely reliable.
- It is designed to accommodate a growing child and can be easily converted from crib to daybed, toddler bed and full-sized bed with a headboard.
- The three-position adjustable mattress support base is designed to adapt to your growing baby’s needs.
- The four different color choices it is available in will match any nursery décor. The finishes are non- toxic and safe for your baby.
- This strong and sturdy crib is made using high- quality pinewood and composites and has been tested by experts to meet all applicable federal safety standards.
- This spacious crib is 27.92 inches in depth, 56.73 inches wide and 41.68 inches tall. It weighs 42 pounds and can bear a load of 50 pounds. The maximum child height for the crib is 35 inches, large enough to allow your baby to rest comfortably.
This crib grows with your child with or without the safety guardrail. It can be further converted into a daybed and then into a full-sized bed, it will last until your child’s adolescence. It has been touted as a sturdy crib which is easy to set up. Even after years of usage it will remain in a pristine condition. The only point of concern for some customers was the paint. Many claimed it chips away easily.
The Dream on me Synergy team is a family owned and operated business which aims at manufacturing reliable baby products. The brand is motivated to work relentlessly towards innovating and manufacturing products that are safe to use and not too heavy on the customer’s pocket.
- This 5-in-1 convertible crib is a lifetime investment as it converts easily from a crib to a toddler bed to a daybed and finally to a full-sized bed. To adjust the mattress height, you have the option to choose from 4 settings.
- This beautiful crib is available in 13 attractive finishes which are eco-friendly and absolutely safe for your baby. Whichever theme you want for your baby’s nursery you can match any color with it. The paints used are water based and hence totally safe.
- This solid and sturdy crib was made using reclaimed New Zealand pinewood. The timeless design will never go out of style and will also give your baby the comfort it deserves. This crib is strong and built to last you a lifetime.
- For safety concerns it is JPMA certified. In fact, it exceeds all safety standards set by CPSC & ASTM. This brand’s products are tested by third party labs for toxic elements. It is the safest crib you can get for your baby.
You can get this decent crib at an affordable price and free shipping. Every piece of this crib is perfectly labeled so that the assembly is easy. If you’re someone who is looking to create a minimalistic nursery for your baby then pick this one as the design is absolutely perfect for that kind of a nursery. It is simple and modern yet classic. With a great price and an equally great quality you’ll have yourself an aesthetically pleasing crib if you invest in this baby crib.
The Delta Children came into existence to create safe baby products at an affordable price. All the cribs manufactured by this brand are JPMA certified and tested vigorously to match the safety standards set CPSC and ASTM.
- This durable and stylish crib by Delta Children is a 4-in-1 convertible crib which will last for ages. It can be converted from a multi-positional baby crib to a toddler bed, daybed and a full-sized bed. It has a slightly curved headboard and airy slats.
- You can adjust the height of the mattress using the 3-position height adjustment. It can be adjusted along with the growth of your baby.
- This well-built crib is made to last for a very long time. The sturdy wood construction ensures its strength.
- This roomy crib is 55.75 inches wide, 30.25 inches deep and 43.75 inches tall. A standard sized crib mattress can be easily fitted into it.
- The most important feature about this crib is the safety factor. This crib was built using all non- toxic and eco-friendly products to ensure that it does not cause your baby any harm.
This crib is popular due to its simple design and easy to put together setup. It is heavy enough to be sturdy and light enough to be carried by an adult. It can be converted as your baby grows. Initially, it has a slight odor but it will go away in sometime as it airs out. This crib is attractive and will be used for a long time by your kids.
This baby bassinet by RONBEI promises to make your life as a parent easier. This brand is the international high class development quotient brand of ZHONGSHAN Bobie baby Co. Ltd. It has an internationally acknowledged reputation when it comes to manufacturing sturdy and durable baby products.
- This bedside bassinet is made using a very soft and skin-friendly fabric. With this bedside bassinet you will have your baby well within your reach and also the comfort of your own bed.
- The 9 height adjustments allow it to fit all types of beds. The retractable feet feature allows its usage with beds that have space underneath as well as the ones which have space under the bed frame.
- The sidewalls are made using breathable mesh to allow more comfort and visibility while the baby sleeps in its own private area.
- The side fabric and the sheet are removable and can be washed in the washing machine.
- The setting up of this bassinet is pretty simple. For this tool free assembly, all you need to do is push leg frames and pull up the handrails.
- It is suitable for newborn babies up to the age of six months and can hold the weight up to 19.8 lbs.
- It can be used as a standalone bassinet and as a side sleeper bassinet.
This affordable and comfy bassinet is loved by new parents. New mothers feel it is comfortable for them to wake up in the middle of the night and just reach for the baby easily to breastfeed. It is also quite big and will allow your baby to rest comfortable under your watchful eyes. It is better than the average bassinet and is sturdy too. It is perfect for the baby as it gets its own place to sleep and for parents as they have easy access to the baby.
Mika Micky is a brand that manufactures baby products like bedside sleepers, fitted sheets and accessories for baby sleepers. It is a reliable brand with a friendly customer service. The customer service is available to assist you online at all times.
- This bedside sleeper or bassinet allows you to co sleep with your baby while providing your baby its own protected space. The sidewall can be lowered to allow you to tend to the baby.
- It is designed keeping in mind the comfort of the baby and the mother. You can easily get back to sleep after feeding or comforting your baby.
- The bassinet can be set up very easily without any tools and can be used anywhere your baby wants to sleep.
- It comes with two side pockets to store baby essentials you might need to keep handy.
- The height of this bassinet is adjustable so that the parents’ bed can easily accommodate it.
- It also comes with built-in wheels and brakes which allow you to move it around safely without damaging your floor.
This sturdy and secure bassinet will allow you to check on your baby every once in a while, without actually leaving your bed. It looks great and is easy to assemble. The wheel locks are strong and it comes with additional straps to hook under the bed mattress so the bassinet would not budge. Customers say that it is a must have if you’re breastfeeding. With this bassinet you’ll have an easy way to have your baby close to you without sharing a bed.
The Guava family is a small and dedicated family-oriented company that aspires to make new parents’ lives more comfortable. The materials this brand uses in the manufacturing of its products are of high quality and there is absolutely no compromise when it comes to safety.
- This lightweight and portable baby crib has gained quite a lot of popularity recently given the affordable price and convenient design. It is designed to be easy to travel with. You can set it up in 15 seconds and it weighs a mere 13 lbs.
- It is certified with GreenGuard Gold non- toxic certification which means it has low voc & no lead, phthalates, pvc, heavy metals, etc
- The mesh on the sides is of full height so that the baby can breathe comfortably and be safe.
- The side zipper door is a quiet zipper so that you are able to put your baby to sleep easily and zip the lockable door back without disturbing your little one’s slumber.
- The updated foam pad is comfortable for newborns and infants to sleep overnight.
- This portable crib comes with a compact backpack carrying case, two years warranty and an amazing customer service.
It is one of the safest cribs available in the market as it does not contain any flame retardants. It is a non- toxic GreenGuard certified crib. GreenGuard Gold standard that tests the actual product in a sealed chamber for 7 days to make sure there is no unhealthy off gassing occurring. The mattress in this crib is firmer and better than standard pack n play. If you travel a lot, this crib is the best choice for you and your baby.
Storkcraft is passionate about helping families create their dream nurseries for their babies. This brand has been manufacturing stunning cribs and baby gear since 1945 and has never failed to satisfy its customers ever since. The Storkcraft Portofino 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer is the ultimate furniture for your baby’s nursery.
- Storkcraft Portofino 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer is an all-in-one nursery solution. It combines a convertible crib with an attached changing table which comes with storage.
- It converts very easily from a crib to a toddler bed, daybed and a full-sized bed. This crib will give your child comfort at every stage of their life.
- This crib is by far the most convenient crib on this list as it is designed with a changing station and water-resistant change pad, 3 drawers, open shelves and a toddler rail which can be used for conversion.
- The mattress height in this crib is adjustable which means you can adjust the height of the mattress according to your baby’s growth. This mattress will easily last for 3-4 years.
- This modern crib with a classic design is available in two brilliant finishes- espresso and white. It will suit whichever theme you’d like your baby’s nursery to be.
This crib is sturdy as it is made of solid wood and is pretty heavy, perfect for you if you’re looking for baby furniture in a permanent residence. The instructions that come with the crib are easy to understand and follow. They allow easy assembly of the crib without the requirement of any special tools. The drawers are a great bonus as you can very conveniently store baby items and would not need any extra space for cupboards. Some customers felt that the changing pad on the changing station was quite flimsy but that shouldn’t be a problem as you can purchase a softer one at a cheap price.
Babyletto is a children’s furniture brand which provides safe, affordable and eco- friendly products to modern families. Their designs are contemporary and they focus on style offering nursery pieces that look exquisite and are functional too. Babyletto has been manufacturing durable and stylish baby gear since 2010 and has gained the trust and love of its customers over the years by creating top notch products.
- The design of this crib is versatile and modern- Hudson’s iconic turned-out foot, rounded spindle design, and open silhouette.
- It is a convertible crib and can be converted from a crib to a toddler bed to a daybed. It comes with a conversion kit.
- Made with sustainable New Zealand pinewood, this strong crib is built to last a very long time.
- You can choose from 8 different finishes to go with the décor of your baby’s nursery.
- It is a GreenGuard Gold certified crib which means you don’t have to worry about your baby’s safety with it. It is finished with a non-toxic multi-step painting and staining process that is lead and phthalate safe.
- The screws and bolts are not visible in this crib which makes its minimalistic design even more desirable.
The design is very nice and modern and is a welcomed change from the curved classic style cribs. Customers were overall really satisfied with this crib as they felt that it is reasonably priced and is easy to assemble. This crib is tagged ‘stylish, beautiful and sturdy’ by parents. It is also very comfortable for the child as well as the parents. The adjustable mattress height is a great feature and allows complete comfort to your baby.
- Choose a baby crib with slats that are close together. This will prevent your baby’s arms or legs getting stuck in between them.
- The drop down side cribs have been banned by the consumer product safety commission. Be sure not to buy those as they can malfunction.
- Before and after purchasing your crib, check product recalls at the consumer product safety commission to make sure your crib hasn’t been affected by any recalls.
- Do not use an antique or used crib as it might be a safety hazard.
- Always check if the paint is chipping, your baby might swallow some which is dangerous.
- If your budget allows, always try to choose a convertible crib as it can be used for a long time given it’s feature to change from a crib all the way to an adult bed.
- Make sure there are no odd odors emanating from the paint of the crib or from the mattress and sheets, this might make your baby uncomfortable.
1. Why should I buy a baby crib when the baby can sleep on the same bed as the parent?
Babies sleeping with their parents on the same bed has been a common practice for centuries but with the passage of time, furniture pieces like cribs or bassinets were invented for the baby and the parents’ comfort. The question still remains- can the baby no just sleep in the same bed as the mommy? Babies can sleep literally anywhere but with the invention of a baby crib the convenience brought into new parents’ life is great. Following are a few merits you can enjoy if you decide to use a crib for your baby:
- Safety– Baby cribs are designed in such a way that the safety of a baby is ensured. The American Academy of paediatrics suggests that parents must use a baby crib as the sleeping surface for newborns.
- Independent sleeping– With a crib your baby can enjoy a peaceful sleep without being disturbed by your movements. A crib will also allow you enough space to sleep on your bed comfortably and not constantly worry about hurting your baby accidentally while sleeping.
- Convertibility– If you think that a crib is a waste of money because your baby will probably use it only for a couple of years, well you’re mistaken. A convertible crib can easily transition from a baby crib to a toddler bed and some cribs also convert all the way to a full-sized bed. Your child can use their crib till their adolescence.
2. What should I buy- a bassinet or a baby crib?
To choose between a bassinet and a crib you must first understand the difference between these two sleeping furniture pieces for babies.
A bassinet is a small bed designed to provide sleeping surface for infants. It is supported by freestanding legs, a frame or stand, a wheeled or a rocking base. A bassinet can also be attached to another surface.
An infant bed or a baby crib is a bed designed to accommodate infants and very young children (up to 3 years old). Cribs feature slatted, high-sided walls that form a safety perimeter around a mini-sized mattress.
There are several parameters using which you can compare a bassinet and a crib. Following are a few:
Compare these parameters and choose the one that is best suited to you according to your requirements.
3. How long can my baby use a bassinet?
Bassinets are ideal to be used for infants aging from 3 months to 6 months. This may seem like a very short period of time but this time is very crucial for your baby’s growth. A bassinet will provide your baby a comfortable and safe place to sleep in and you will be able to monitor them easily as bassinets can be attached to the parents’ bed. A bassinet will keep your baby safe during the most important period of growth in their life, so make sure you do a thorough research and choose the best one for them.
New parents are always anxious about their baby’s safety, which is completely natural. With this article you have all the information you need to get the best sleeping accommodation for your baby. We hope it will aid you in making the best choice for your baby’s crib. Let us know in the comments which crib or bassinet you decided to grace your baby’s nursery with.